Monday, November 29, 2010

KIHU Tooele 1010 kHz - an Immaculate Heart Radio in Salt Lake City, Utah

KIHU became my first new identified station right after I switched on my NetSDR on ENOX24 last October. I noticed a powerful religious format station audible on 1010 kHz on October 31 around 12:00 UTC simultaneously with CBR Calgary. It didn't take long when this station identified being Immaculate Heart Radio from Tooele and the announcer even announced the call letters "KIHU".
Some days later I got a very kind verification from Immaculate Heart Radio:
"I have had one other report on KIHU from Finland this year and a few others on a couple of our other stations. Our main office is located in Loomis, California and I work at our Reno Nevada station. We have been in opeeration starting in Reno for almost 14 years now so we are rather new at broadcasting. We are also still growing and hope to add several more stations in the near future.It is always a pleasure to hear from someone that hears oone of our stations from so far away. I hope you keep listening and perhaps located some of our other stations."
As The Most Rev. John C. Wester, Bishop of the Diocese of Salt Lake City, threw the switch to turn on 50,000 watts and Immaculate Heart Radio, the audience gathered cheered and clapped. The announcer said, “This is Immaculate Heart Radio. Live from the Great Salt Lake Region, this is the premier broadcast of Immaculate Heart Radio’s newest radio station AM 1010 for Utah KIHU. A liturgy dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary followed.

No comments: